Amavasya Tharpanam in English - Description
Dear readers, here we are offering Amavasya Tharpanam in English PDF to all of you. If you also want to get the blessings of the ancestors, then worship the ancestors on Somvati Amavasya. On Somvati Amavasya Tithi, ancestors are offered various offerings. The ancestors are pleased with this ritual. His blessings shower on the seeker. Happiness, peace, and prosperity come in the home of the seeker with the grace of ancestors. According to religious beliefs, the ancestors who have been on earth for 16 days go back to their ancestors on this new moon day. This year Mahalaya Amavasya is on 25 September 2022. Along with this, all kinds of worldly troubles go away. Amavasya Tithi has special importance in Sanatan Dharma. Worship, chanting and charity are done on this date. Along with this, do recite Pitra Chalisa. Sarvapitripaksha Amavasya is also known as Visarjani or Mahalaya Amavasya. On this day all the ancestors are immersed, after bathing in the holy river, tarpan, Pindadan, and Shradh are done and a respectable farewell is given to the ancestors.
Amavasya Tharpanam in English PDF Highlights
There are several types of tharpanams: –
- Gunda (kuzhi) tharpanam- the tharpanam that is done in the first ten days of death.
- Brahma yagna tharpanam-This is the oblation supposed to be done daily to the devas, rishis and pithrus, alongwith daily Sandhyavandanam prayer.
- Parheni tharpanam- this is the tharpanam, which is supposed to be done on the next day after annual sraddha. This at present is being done after sraddha on the same day, because the priest does not have time to come the next day. Here the tharpanam is offered only to ones pithru varga (paternal side).
- The regular tharpanam, which is supposed to be done on all amavasyas. Four Month beginnings viz mesha, karkidaga, thula and makara and eclipses. Our ancient scripts advise us to perform tharpanam on 96 days in a year but this is not being done nowadays.
Several Poorva Acharyas have codified the method of tharpanam. Some of them are Apasthambha, Bodhayana; Drahyayana what is given below is the manthras and method of the Apasthambha sutra.of Yajur Veda. There are slight differences in the sankalpam among Iyers and Iyengars.The version followed by both groups of Sri Vaishnavas viz Thenkalai and Vadakalai are given here. It is understood that the tharpanam for Rig Vedis is almost similar but that for Sama Vedis it is different. There are also differences brought about by local practice and family tradition. People are advised to follow their traditions strictly. They have precedence over what is written down here. For example some people do avahanams of Pithrus on two Bugnams known as koorchas. Some on one /Bugnam/koorcha and some on spread darbhams.
There are several rules regarding tharpanam though many of them are not being followed by most of the people. They are: –
- On the day of Tharpanam, till tharpanam is completed we are not supposed to drink/eat anything.
- On the day of tharpanam, the daily rituals like Sandhya vandhana have to be first performed. Then before tharpanam one more bath has to be taken.
- Wet cloth should not be worn during tharpanam nor is it right to wear cloth which was washed a day before and dried. The cloth has to be made wet the same day and dried. Pure white silk cloth can also be worn, but wearing this silk cloth you should not have eaten any food. If wet cloth is not dry, it should be seven times shaken dry in wind before wearing it.
- Except the tharpanam during eclipse all other tharpanams are to be done after 12 noon. Considering the difficulty, our lawgivers have agreed that it can be done after 8.30 AM.
- As mentioned earlier nothing should be eaten or drunk before performance of Tharpanam.
- Oblations should be done with hand full of water and not drops or spoon full of water.
- The water should be poured out using the space between the thumb and the four fingers.
- Every time a pinch of black till (Gingili) has to be taken. Care should be taken not to take it using the thumb and the index finger. (Joining Index finger with Thumb is considered as Rakshasa Mudra or the sign of demons).
- Pithru tharpanam should always be done with poonal hanging from the right shoulder to the left side of the body.
- The pavithram for pithru tharpanam should be made out of three durbha and the koorcham should be made of 5 or 3 durbham leaves.
- We should preferably sit on seat made of durbha (durbhasanam) while doing tharpanam and in its absence put few durbhas on the place we are going to sit,
- Silver vessels are prescribed for used during tharpanam. If not available copper vessels can be used. Under no circumstance should steel or other metal vessels are to be used.
- Tharpanam should be done facing east or south. It is believed that it either should be done in our homes or in public holy places like shore of the river, sea active you happen to do it in the place belonging to some one else. We are supposed to compensate the owner of the property.
- If Amavasya and the first of the month in which tharpanam has to be performed comes on the same day, then tharpanam for the sankramanam (first of the month) should be done
You can download Amavasya Tharpanam in English PDF by clicking on the following download button.